Saturday, February 7, 2015

Swan Song Adventures

What's the deal with this picture? What does it mean? Learn the significance here. 
















My Last Hurrah. My Final Round. My Swan Song. My last days before leaving the United States...

The goal » See as many people as possible one last time before moving to Madagascar
The challenge » Complete the goal within the month of January, via road tripping

So goes my Swan Song Adventures...


»Stop 1: Phoenix, AZ, 5 days

With my mom, sister, and two nephews, I drive from central Texas to Phoenix. We visit my Grammi, aunt, uncle, and two cousins (oh, and my Grammi's cat). Aside from being delayed seven extra hours in a Texas ice storm, it's an excellent trip.


Casa Grande Ruins National Monument in Arizona












»Stop 2: Cherokee, TX, 3 days

I meet up with other Aggies For Christ members in Cherokee to serve at the local children's home. Each year AFC members go on "Weeklong" trips; groups split and travel to eight Texas children's homes to assist and encourage children and staff. This is my fourth year to go to Cherokee, although this time I'm only able to stay for three days instead of the full week.


AFCers wear "war paint" to the 
Cherokee Middle School and 
High School basketball games.
Giving pigs "crew cuts" for the livestock show is a 
traditional Cherokee Weeklong project.



»Stop 3: College Station, TX, 3 days

Aggieland. I love Aggieland. My visit is full and enjoyable... Many meals and meetings with good friends? Check. One last run in one of my favorite parks? Check. A few hours with the staff and students at Cornerstone (my former place of employment...and they even gave me a breakfast and gift basket! wow!)? Check. Some dental work with my primary dentist? Not as exciting... but check. 

A few cards and gifts from my
former students :)












»Stop 4: Party Time!

My family throws a going away party for me in Burnet, TX. I get to see many friends and family of old and new. It was a joy seeing them and a valuable time of love and encouragement! 

Family and friends at my send-off party (what a good looking group!).
Photo by John Hallowell. 












»Stop 5: Fredericksburg, TX, 2 days

I visit my Oma along with a few of my uncles and cousins in the western Texas Hill Country. My Oma's house is a special place to me... Mostly because of the people and memories, but also because it reminds me of my family's history. I'm grateful for my family and all they have given me through their lives and hard work! 


Certificates awarded to my opa, Roy Jacoby.
Left- Certificate of Merit for "outstanding
accomplishment in soil conservation."
Right- certificate of appreciation from the Texas
Agriculture Extension Service.  







»Stop 6: Madagorta Bay, TX, 2 days

I head down to the Texas seashores to see my brother, sister-in-law, and one of my nephews. I'm able to babysit my nephew for a few hours- precious time with the little stinker before I leave for Madagascar. 


Playing outside is my nephew's
favorite activity. Here he and my
brother rest on porch steps.






















»Final Stop: Austin, TX, 6 days (total)

For a day each week, I get to babysit my other two nephews. Because these children are precious beyond all measure (and very well-behaved), my time babysitting is incredibly fun and enjoyable. I'm still not sure what I'm going to do without these guys for two years!


At a museum exhibit in Austin. We
love learning about history, culture,
science, and geography!
A proudly constructed blanket fort. Nothing is "too much fun" as
long as it gets cleaned up before mom and dad get home!





















....So ends my Swan Song Adventures. Goodbyes are difficult... Difficult, but essential. I'm glad I got to see, spend time, and laugh with many cherished people in my life. Here's to these adventures and the ones to come!


1 comment:

  1. I'm excited about all of your old adventures, and also all of your future adventures! You're the best!

    ReplyDelete