Sunday, January 25, 2015

Party Pooper

Saturday Night Live's Debbie Downer (photo from quickmeme)

















I am the Party Pooper.

When my family suggested a send-off party for me, I couldn't tell them no. I knew it was something they wanted to do because they love me. So, with hidden inward objection, I consented to a party.

Oi. Most people know me by my extroverted side. The side of me that is always ready for fun. The side of me that socializes until I could pass out from all the conversing, smiling and laughing. The Energizer Bunny side of me....

Few people know of my introverted side. The side of me that secretly fears the inability to escape a social cluster. The side of me that gets uncomfortable with too much attention. The side of me that gets tired and grouchy from the hustle and bustle around me. The Party Pooper side of me.

A send-off party? For me? Oh no. This party is bad news for a Party Pooper.

Bad news for a Party Pooper, indeed. So it's a good thing my Party Pooper side had to eat. my. shorts.

The party was incredible. Any discomfort I felt faltered to radiating encouragement and support. I was taken up with joy. I was excited to be with those around me. I was deeply
reminded of many valuable people in my life. I was infinitely blessed by my family and friends. The Party Pooper could not stand against the permeation of appreciation and love. Ding-dong, the Party Pooper is dead!

I'm thankful for my family who worked hard to organize the party. I'm thankful for all the wonderful people I was able to see before my journey. And I'm thankful for all who gave words of love and encouragement through cards, poems, messages, and anecdotes. There is no better way you could send me off to Madagascar.

Family and friends, I hope you know the treasures in my heart of you will travel with me to Madagascar. They will keep me company in Madagascar. They will stay with me long after I leave Madagascar. They are a part of me. 

I am overwhelmed with gratitude and love. 


My Peace Corps Madagascar send-off party on January 24, 2015. Photo by John Hallowell.














Also, shout out to Cornerstone Christian Academy, who had a small send-off of their own for me. How special you are to me is beyond my expression.



1 comment: